AdvMESS - Weird fluctuations
  • Was wondering if anybody had an issue running NES roms... I am able to load and play games finally and absolutely loving it but for some reason I'm not getting very good quality for sound. I did apply the "modest" overclock and that actually helped the quality some, and increasing frame skip helped keep the frame rate up but the sound just still sounds a little wonky, almost like it wavers between fine and low output occasionally.
  • first off, make sure that you are running the latest builds of everything.
    sudo update
    sudo upgrade

Second, you can easily overclock to 'medium' with no real added strain to your cpu. I am able to run all of the older emulators perfectly on this setting without the need to up the frame skip.

Third, how is your audio being outputted? is it via 3.5mm or hdmi (I output mine with 3.5mm with no noticeable degradation)? Have you tested your cable on a different machine/tried a different cable?
  • Already upgraded to the latest yesterday, did fix a lot of things for me thankfully. :)

I'll try on medium, see it that corrects the problem. Also I am simply outputting composite video and 3.5mm audio to an older TV.

EDITs: OC'd to Medium, running good but still having weird wavy sound fluctuation. I use the headphones on a regular basis (for Let's Plays actually) so I can confirm it's not the headphones unless something about a stereo headset is throwing it off. Pi is getting enough juice, using a 1A brick.
  • hmmm. I'm not sure then. Are you having the problem only on nes roms?
  • also, are you running V.7.10 or V.8?
  • NES roms and AdvMAME, actually, now that I noticed it. And V 0.8.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!