FBA 51 fps locked on PAL SDTV 4:3 + overscan issues?
  • Hello! I am building a cabinet and want to use an SDTV via Rca, but as soon as I plug it in the framerate drops to 51 and stay there. The sound start to chop and sound blown out. There doesn't seem to be any frameskipping either. I suspect it has something to do with the 50hz PAL TV that can't run 60fps but I can't find any setting or solution to this.

As soon as I set it back to Hdmi I get 60 fps no problem, but I really don't want a panel but a crt.

I realize this is probably a regional issue but I'm all out of ideas. Do I need to import or buy a TV that supports 60hz?

Also, the interface is too big in FBA for the TV, and overscan only seem to affect the Pi itself not FBA. I've looked through FBA's config which is really lacking, as well as the Pi's.
    I'd appreciate any suggestions or tips!
  • To use the SDTV I unplug the HDMI cord to my monitor and reboot so that it uses RCA.
    I have modified the config.txt file to try any sdtv_mode and mode=2 is the only one that displays properly. Modes 0 and 1 run at full speed and audio is fine but there is no color on screen, modes 2 and 3 run slower and the audio is choppy as if played slower. Mode 2 show color but not mode 3.
    So my TV can only display PAL signals properly.
    I suppose some frameskipping would help, but it's not ideal.

I also get some unfortunate overscan issues in FBA but not PiMAME menus. Editing overscan in config.txt does not affect FBA. Perhaps the TV is too old to be able to handle that high resolution.

As I see it I have two options, get an SDTV that supports 60Hz or use a flatscreen display?
  • Did what you suggested, but it didn't change anything regarding the sound. Unfortunatly I think PAL mode is unusable, since there is no frameskip implemented everything is running slower because of the fewer frames.

At least, I haven't found a frameskip.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!