PiMAME 0.8 Preview Edition (only for the brave!)
  • I have made the alpha version of PiMAME 0.8 available to test. I recommend using the installer on a freshly installed version of Raspbian.

From the command line, enter in the command:

wget -O - http://pimame.org/installer.sh | bash

When that finishes, restart your Pi, and you should reboot into the new menu. You will also have a brand new web frontend available by typing your Pi's network address into your browser!

Enjoy! I welcome all feedback!

-Shea
  • Awesome! Trying it out now!
  • Tried out the install and did as above. New SD card, Fresh Rasbian install, setup the Wi-fi link and then the bash above. No joy tho' it just booted to the command line with an IO error about being unable to read a font name.

Gonna try again see if I did something stupid… :)

I did manage to open the launchmenu.py manually though and its looking pretty slick, loving the refreshing simplicity of its look. Looks like it will be easy enough to customise to individual needs even for a noob like myself (that's messing with files until it breaks then undoing the harm afterwards)

Cheers Guys, looking forward to the finished release.
  • I had the same problem :(
    Edit the config.yaml file and change the font path to the full path. Eg. /home/pi/pimame/pimame-menu/assets/fonts/Lato-Bold.TTF

Good luck

--
    Conno123009
    http://conno123009.wordpress.com
  • That's a good catch. Will fix that asap
  • Cheers for that Conno, I thought it was a PICNIC error. I repeated the process without altering ANYTHING in raspbian and it booted (slowly) but it lives! I'll see if I can break it again and pass on any feedback.
  • Cool, no problem :)
    Thanks
  • Have tried to load pimame 0.8 but it gets stuck on emulators..... hiscore every time.
    I have tried the previous version but have the xin mo joysticks hence my eargerness to try this version.
    Any ideas??
  • Is it getting stuck downloading emulators.zip? Try downloading the zip on your computer and copy it across.
    Good luck

--
    Conno123009
  • I just installed the .8 preview and it loaded and boots fine. I like the new launch screen but I am having problems with the web site Rom Uploader. It states to select system then drag the roms into it. But there is no way to select a system. Please give me some guidance.

• Interesting. I haven't tested the web uploader yet, as I usually use FTP instead. For now just use FTP eg. Filezilla.
    I will try to fix it ASAP. Sorry it doesn't work :(

--
    Conno123009
  • No problem. Is there an easy way to upload only one set of roms for the 2 mame emulators? I guess editing the config file, but not sure where to look.

J
  • So you want the two mame emulators to share the same ROM folder?
    Edit /home/pi/pimame/pimame-menu/config.yaml and change the ROM directory under either Mame4all or advancemame.

--
    Conno123009
  • I used the latest Raspbian distro obtained from their website, thoroughly updated it after installation. When running the pimame 0.8 installer script, I noticed a bunch of compilation errors about Phython.h not existing on the system. However, that didn't seem to stop the install process, and I was able to boot into the new PiMame interface.

I like the new interface. My immediate thought was that I should dress it up with some custom artwork (my day job is at an ad-agency so my go-to response to anything is to 'improve it' - don't be offended. ;).

A couple of problems:
    The XBox controller that worked perfectly well in PiMame 0.7 would not initialize at boot up - it is detected and identified correcly, but the console says it can't get control of the device - says something about the USB device being busy, and offers some suggestions to try (which didn't work). On the joystick itself the green ring LEDs just flash instead of settling down to the upper-left LED being on. (Sorry I'm so vague on the details - I should have grabbed a snapshot of the error on the screen. Right now I'm reformatting the SD card for another go.)

Tried Mame4All. Something is really messed up here - I was presented with a mostly empty screen with a long, list of my roms in no apparent order, and the cursor keys only seem to step through the list one. at. a. time. Tried a couple of different roms, and was told there were missing files. I know this is not the case, because I've been using this same 'complete' Mame 0.37b16 ROM set ever since the Wiz, so I'm guessing this is a newer version of Mame4All, since they love moving things around from version to version. It's OK to do that, just let us know what ROM set to use and I'll use clrmame or something to create one.

At this point I just decided I'm better off not being a pioneer so I'm going back to the 0.7 version for now... I'm just going to rebuild it from scratch and make a backup of the SD card in case the boot partition gets it's knickers in a twist.
  • thanks for the feedback!
  • Run this to update which includes fixes for C64 and NES:

From the command line, enter in the command:

wget -O - http://pimame.org/update.sh | bash

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!