Roms folder size limit ?
  • Hello everyone,

Once again, i'm having trouble with PiMame >.<.<br />Everything is working, PS1 games are running well but i'm facing a last trouble. I want to play PS1 game so i get myself Breath Of Fire 3 roms and FF9 roms and i decided to put them inside the roms folder. BOF3 is 480Mo and FF9 is 780Mo. My SD card is 32Go and to be sure that i have enough space, i removed the Mame4All (won't use it) which gived me about 4Go space. My problem is this one : if i put BoF 3 inside my Sd using the FTP client it works perfectly and then if i put the FF9 roms inside it, it blocks at something like 80% (680Mo) and stop the transfer of the roms. I tought the problems came from the ROM (corrupt or something), put i tried to put first the FF9 rom and then the BOF3 and the FF9 rom is completly put inside (i can play it) but not the BOF3's one. If i try to boot with this non finished transfer, the PiMame just completly die (unable to load the menu) and i have to reinstall entierly PiMame.
    My last try was this one : put Bof3, zip the ff9 (which was 480mo) and unzip it inside the raspberry using the unzip command. Same problem, it doesn't works !

Does anybody knows if there is some size limit or anything that could block the transfer after a certain size of the the folder ?

Thanks for your help !
  • So are you using the rom uploader? If so try using a different FTP/SFTP like Filezilla or try copying the roms via a USB instead. There shouldn't be a limit, i can't really think of any reason why.
    You could also try cleaning the cache files in Raspbian, I don't really know if that will help though.

Good Luck!

--
    Conno123009
  • Hello,

I tried both (rom uploader and ftp (filezila)) but it doesn't work. I'm gonna try tonight to put the games in an other folder just to see.
    How do we clean the cache files ? (i'm using pimame, not raspbian !)
  • raspbian is the os, pimame is just a collection of apps that run on the raspbian os.
  • You may have a fault in one of your memory blocks. SD cards get corrupted with use. Sometimes formatting can help. I recommend using the SDFormatter tool (rather than the windows/mac utilities)

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

If that doesn't work, maybe try using a different SD card.
  • Are you sure you have enough space on your SD Card?
  • Hi,

As i said it, i removed 3Go (Mame4All) so yeah i think i have enough space. I tried to put the roms inside another folder but it doesn't change (i can only put files inside the roms folder).
    I'll try the cache clean and the formatter but if it doesn't work i'll have to install Raspbian =/
  • Linux can sometimes store deleted files in a folder called .trash-1000 or something like that. Its kind of like a recycling bin in Windows. Try deleting that too.

--
    Conno123009
  • Soooo....

I ran some last tries :
    My SD card is 32Go. When i format using the SDFormatter she is now 29.7Go (FAT32). After installing using Win32DiskImager the PiMame is fully installated.
    I can upload one file (468Mo exactly), then start the next one (723Mo) and the download stops at 640Mo. I'm using FileZila, i tried everything, i think i will go on Raspbian and installing the PCSX emulator from here.
    I can't see where the problem is coming from, either i'm doing something wrong and i can't see it (i don't think the problem come from here), PiMame take something like 29Go or there is something blocking the upload of my files.

If anyone have any last idea, go ahead.
  • did you expand your file system? if not, in your console or ssh window, type 'sudo raspi-config'. Choose option 1, 'Expand Filesystem', Finish, Reboot.
  • THANK
    YOU

It finally work, you can explain what it does ?
  • it just expands the file system so that it has access to the entire sd card, not just the portion that it was unpacked to.
  • Yay ok, but one last question... Why this isn't a default option ?
  • I'm not sure, but I think that it has to do with how the os gets unpacked on the sd card.
  • Marked as solved

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!