[noob question] Can't Flash PiMame Image on 4 gig sd card
  • I have been trying to flash the 0.7.10 image onto 2 different Micro Center and 2 different PNY 4 gb - Class 4. I have tried the "SD Imager" software on my Windows 7 laptop and "Win 32 Disk Imager" on my XP machine. I have tried the internal and USB card reader on my Win 7 laptop and the USB reader on my XP machine.

I was originally getting an error about "not being able to find a sector", or something like that. That is when I changed to the PNY cards. Somehow I have corrupted two of the cards, because they show total size of 55.1 MB instead 4 gb. When I try to use one of the remaining cards (one PNY and one Micro Center) that show 4 gb in size I am told that the cards are not big enough.

Can anyone help end these 2 days or frustration?

Thank you!
  • I have found that not all class # of cards have the same amount. I was using a Class 10 card with 16gb and tried to go down to a Class 4 but found the Class 4 16gb to be slightly smaller in available size to flash the image, might be something similar with the 4gb.
  • I guess I will return one of the 4gb cards from Macro Center and try an 8 gb card. Do you have any idea why the cards now only show 55mb to total space instead of 4 gb, or how to rstore them to the default/
  • Sounds like it may have flashed okay, as this would be just the boot partition remaining that windows could see... assuming you are using windows to flash it.
    When loading it into the PI is the monitor hooked up the s-video or hdmi?
    I'm only aware in windows and it is just going into disk manager and deleting the partitions and than format it back to a fat32 or NTSF.
  • The reason your cards are now only showing 55MB is probably that Windows is only able to see the primary partition. There are probably better ways to fix this, but I find the simplest is to put the card in my camera and do a 'low level' format - hey presto - back to 4GB!

However, I have similar but slightly different problem to your original post. I'm trying to flash the 0.7.10 onto a 4GB SanDisk Ultra SD Card using Win32DiskImager and it won't quite fit:

"Not enough space on disk: Size: 7741440 sectors   Available: 7736320 sectors   Sector size: 512"

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.
  • I used the SD Formatter tool to reformat the "55MB" disks. I used the option "Format Size Adjustment", and that took take of that issue.

As for the "Not enough space on disk" issue, which I was getting as well, the 8gb card took care of that issue as well.

I was able to get good first boot. Been busy and have not done much yet, but I am on the right track.

Thank you for your help!
  • Is anyone getting the error

Access to this resource on the server is denied!

When trying to start a new discussion?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!