[SOLVED] Rotate Display? (How-to)
  • Hi everybody -

I'm not having any luck rotating my display so I can play my games vertical or in portrait. From tinkernut I discovered how to rotate AdvMAME only. But I'd like to have the whole thing rotated because I'm making a cabinet. I found online something about adding display_rotate=1 to the config.txt, but it didn't change anything. Then I read something about having to split the GPU/CPU of RAM and I'm not sure how to do that or if it will work. Anybody been successful with this? Thanks! -Will
  • To rotate advancemenu to vertical...

display_orientation flip_xy mirror_x

(The raspberry pi startup text will still be in horizontal mode).
  • Hmmm. I must be missing something. I tried this in the terminal (didn't take) and then in sudo nano config.txt just adding the line to the bottom but it didn't work for me. The AdvMenu came up horizontal again. Where did I go wrong? Thanks for the quick reply, btw!
  • I tried something else that ALSO did not work. I got into nano .advance/advmenu.rc. I found a line that started with display_orientation and then added the flip_xy mirror_x to it rebooted and it still is all horizontal! I'm stumped!
  • Yes, sorry, should have been more explicit.

You need to edit the advmenu.rc file in the .advance directory to add the line:
    display_orientation flip_xy mirror_x

I have it working ok here as I am building a cocktail cabinet and need it in vertical mode. I don't recall having to change anything else for advancemenu.
  • Yeah, still no luck. I tried that display_orientation to nano .advance/advmenu.rc. and added the code but it didn't work. Frustrating!
  • That's weird.

Just tried it again here and there are one or two games that don't rotate properly, usually neogeo ones. The scores/credits/etc rotate but the main gameplay screen doesn't.
    Works fine on "normal" games bombjack, galaga, phoenix, galaxian, etc.
    Have you made any other changes to advmenu.rc? I wonder if there are conflicting entries?
    What games have you tried?

[Edit]
    Oops - what am I talking about. It's advancemenu you are trying to rotate not the games!
  • OK! Not sure what did it, but I have a vertical screen in AdvanceMAME! Now, how do I do this for MAME4all?
  • Good stuff.

Glad to hear it.

For Mame4all rotation...

Edit mame.cfg and add:
    ror=yes

• How do I get into to edit the mame.cfg? What and where do I need to put in the code?Sorry, I'm still quite new to Linux!
  • Figured it out! So I went snooping on the Pi desktop and found in the MAME4all folder and in that I found a simple text file called name.cfg! I found the ror=no and changed it to yes, saved it, rebooted and voila! Vertical games! So awesome. Now. How do I get the MAME4all folder rotated so once the monitor is in my cabinet I don't have to scroll through/read the game titles sideways?!
  • Have you considered just rotating the display at the system level (in /boot/config.txt)?

See http://elinux.org/RPiconfig
  • That's exactly what I want! I did try that (display_rotate=1 [90 degrees]), but I used sudo nano /boot/config.txt. It didn't work. Maybe I need to be in the root with a password or whatever? Not sure how to do that. Several times trying things I got "permission denied" message. I've done some research on being in the root, but haven't figured out how to do it. Does this even seem like the right avenue to take? Thanks for all your help by the way, FortyRock! -Will
  • sudo should have done the trick. You can also "sudo su" first, which puts you in as root. Then try nano /boot/config.txt again.

You can also access the boot folder from a windows machine if you mount the SD card directly.
  • YES! YES! YES! It worked! So I had to add the display_rotate=1 script in there by typing it in. I tried that before but I think I put it in the wrong spot. This time I put it on a line after one that started with a #. Funny, I had to go back and remove the ror=yes in the mame4all config.txt so it would all be cohesive. Now it is in glorious vertical (or portrait) view! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
  • Glad it worked for you :)
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!