Sound Distortion
  • Hi! When I play Marble Madness with advmame on the pi, the sound is extremely garbled and has multiple "echoes" while it plays, which makes it sound choppy and slow. I call it "warbling". I don't think this is a pi problem, because sound is fine for other programs. sound is also OK when I play Marble Madness (a different ROM file) on mame4all. I've tried over clocking and playing with al the sound settings in the advmame.rc file.

I'm very frustrated because I like advmame for its ability to assign multiple mice to multiple players (mame4all can't do that.), but the sound is so bad that it's very distracting. I've tried several versions of the ROM and they all have the same problem.

Has anyone encountered this problem before or have any ideas on what I can try?

Oh, In case it matters, I'm using an HDMI monitor, but the sound is going to the audio jack.

By the way, if anyone else has a similar setup and can't get sound (like my originally), try entering "amixer cset numid=3 1" on the command line. - other sound tips at http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#Sound
  • Actually, after fighting this problem all day long, I tried changing an option that I swore I had tried before, but apparently hadn't, because it solved most of the problem:

I set "debug_rawsound yes" and the most of the warbling went away. It sounds a little static-y now, but at least now you can tell it's music, so I'm chalking this one back up as playable.

I may go back and try some of the other sound options again now that I have the debug on to see if they make a difference now. All I gotta do now is make my homemade trackballs...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!