Which MAME emulator is best? And how do I start directly to one of them?
  • Hi! I'm building a small simple 1-player arcade cab. I was originally going to have a mini-ITX board, but everything got rather expensive for a small 1-player cab. And the last time I tried using the Raspberry Pi, everything was complicated, and it was really slow. But as I had a R-Pi in my drawer, I though, "Hey, maybe someone has done a simple install", and yes; PiMAME is awesome! Such a great project - Thank you:)

But, as I will generally use this cab for simple MAME-games, what should I do? Should I use MAME4ALL? Is it possible to edit a file to start directly to M4A? No offense, but I don't like the look of the emulator menu :P I do have Linux knowledge, and SSH etc.

Again, thanks for doing this, you've made a great contribution to both arcade-fans and Raspberry Pi. I would most likely never have thought of using the R-Pi for MAME, as I thought it was too demanding.

How about NEO GEO and Metal Slug. Will it work? I had problems on a dual core 2 ghz computer.

Hope someone can answer my questions.
  • I am using Mame4All, but like you, I also hate the menu for it. So i added M4A to advance menu so that I can boot up directly to that. All of the emulators I am using are in the one single menu.
    Here is how I did it (I have had help from others to pull this off!);

Bootup to AdvMenu
    1. edit /home/pi/.profile
    2. remove/add advmenu from/to the bottom of the script
    a. default = python /home/pi/pimame_files/menu.py

Add Mame4All to AdvanceMenu
    1. Edit advancemenu.rc
    2. Insert the following lines;
    emulator "mame4all” generic "/home/pi/emulators/mame4all-pi/mame" "%s"
    emulator_roms "mame4all" "/home/pi/emulators/mame4all-pi/roms"
    emulator_altss "mame4all" "/home/pi/.advance/snap"
    emulator_include "mame4all"
    emulator_attrib "mame4all" missing exclude
  • Thanks!
    I will test this out!

I actually like the Mame4All menu, but not the black, DOS-like menu on PiMAME.

If I add M4A to advancemenu, will it then open Mame4All, and you'll have to choose the game afterwards, or will AdvMenu automatically choose and launch the M4A rom?

• It will automatically open the AdvMenu and choose and launch the M4A rom.
    I like this way becasue I can see the screenshot of the game I am playing.
  • Thanks!

I was trying to avoid to have to open several menus etc. I like the M4A menu actually, nice retro feeling, but I agree regarding screenshots!

Hopefully I'll be able to get started on my cabinet soon, and get the Pi up and running.
  • I start pisnes in rc.local so the menu starts if I kill it. Now I've rewritten a lot of the menu to accept joy input though.
  • omegadot - please fork pimame from github and submit a pull request. I'd love to have your additions.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!