[DEFERRED] Silent start?
  • Hi all,

I'm in planning stages of building my own Arcade bartop. I've looked into various options for the internals and having a cheap (not to mention small) Pi inside definitely sounds like a great solution. Though computer-savvy enough on Windows, I'm not at all at home with Linux distros (other than whatever runs my Android of course) so I'm glad that something such as this implementation exists.

I haven't bought my Pi yet since I'm still gathering information. I'm already aware the Raspberry Pi isn't exactly a workhorse game box, but I'm most interested in first half 80s games anyway so I should be safe.

I wish to create a pretty monolithic arcade feel. As such, I'd like the emulator to start up quickly and preferably silent. A configurable splash is acceptable (even cool), but the usual blurb of startup messages that appears when starting a Linux distro isn't. Recompiling and rebuilding a custom Linux distro is way out of my league in terms of expertise and time, but I would be fine with editing startup scripts if that can do the the tricks I want it to do.

If I understand it well PiMame sets out to be a full distribution to get started (jay!). I was wondering in how it has been configured for fast and silent booting, or if you can change things to do that yourself. I've seen a demonstration video or two but both are well past the boot sequence and just showing the game. Any clues?
  • Silent booting / custom image booting is on the agenda. I've had it working but I'm not 100% happy with the results at the moment.

It is possible though.
  • Thank you for the fast response!

Yes, I understood it should be possible if only somewhat of a pain to accomplish, Linux being quite chatty. :) Great to hear you're looking into it.

By the way, what is currently the boot time before you get to run a menu?
  • +1 for this ;-)
  • Deferred to Feature Request
  • I'm also keen to see this
  • Yes please
  • allright. Hearing ya loud and clear :)
  • Also, could there be an option to simply boot the pi into one of the emulators and skip the menu? I'm trying to build a joystick controller with a pi built in and no keyboard. Maybe include a check for a held down key in case we hook up a keyboard and want to edit config files or something for maintenance?

Also... my registration on this forum isn't working. The email confirmation isn't hitting MSN Outlook. I'll try again with a gmail or something.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!