Background sound in advmenu...
  • Hi all!

First of all, a big THANK YOU to Shea for all his hard work to get PiMame running. It's a real accomplishment and a LOT of fun to play with!

So, I've been configuring advmenu.rc to get it looking the way I want. I wanted to enable background music on the menu, so I edited the "sound_background_begin" entry with the location of a .wav file. Rebooted.

The sound plays, but it's GOD AWFUL sounding! Pops/Clicks/Stutters everywhere. Once I'm in a game, the music is fine (depending on the size of the game), but in the menu, it sounds terrible.

My question is, is this a limitation of the Pi? Is it the infamous bad onboard sound? Or is it configurable within advmenu.rc to get it sound right? I tried editing the sample rate, but then nothing played. I even tried the "sound_buffer" and "sound_latency" settings, but that just seemed to slow ALL of advmenu down.

Has anyone gotten the background sound working?

I should also mention that my sound is through the HDMI...

Thanks everyone!
  • I've had no luck with background sound either, it would be a great addition.
  • Well, it works...it's just not very "listenable" which kind of defeats the purpose!!!
  • Sound through a USB card is also fubar (literally). I just disabled it in AdvMenu altogether.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!