Where to store playstation roms
  • maybe im missin git - but can someone tell me where I need to store Ps1 roms?
  • Anywhere. The playstation emulator includes a menu that allows you to move around the directories.
  • Not anywhere apparently. I have and external usb drive and it does't seem to recognise it. I have installed the exfat fuse driver and I can mount it and see it and upload Roms through my FTP application. But When I try to access it through the PCSX emulator, it just doesn't show...
  • hi,

nice work ssilver! but i'm still having some trouble with the psx emulator.

can someone explain to me what kind of roms i need? .bin or .iso ? normally i would just burn them on a cd and use them with my old psone, but how does is work with this emulator?

greetings from switzerland
  • hiulit: I never tried with an external drive. I should show up in /mnt or /media, but I'm not sure.

Fuip: it should be able to read both .bin and .iso
  • Yeah, I'm mounting it on /media but I can't see it from the "load game" menu (although it's there). Don't know... Could be the exfat format?
    Wouldn't it be better to store the games on an external usb so the SD Card doesn't "overload"?
  • exfat could def be the issue. I store all my games on the SD Card itself. Haven't had a problem yet. I do tend to format my external hard drives FAT32 since I run between windows, os x, and linux a lot. Though then I hit the 2GB file size limit.
  • That's why I decided to go with exfat. And it works like a charm on my other SD card running Raspbmc. I'll try to use a FAT32 usb stick and see if it works.
  • @hiulit

i`m currently using a 16 GB NTFS USB stick and its working fine with the emulator so far. i´m mounting the stick over the console, using the following code:

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media
  • Ok. I'll try it out @fuip
    I guess that a 4 GB FAT32 USB stick will work too, won't it?
    So far the game is running ok from the SD card but the SD card gets hotter and hotter after some hours of playing and then some videos or animations get slower.
    The thing is, right now, I have no USb input left in my USB hub :P I'll have to make some place. Thanks!
  • btw @fuip
    I have installed the exfat-fuse driver and I can mount my external USB perfectly, also edited the fstab so it mounts on boot.
    But, it doesn't show up on the PCSX ReARMed. Do you happen to know why?
  • hi hiulit,

in what folder are you mounting your usb-drive? did you select the right folder in the emulator? you could check your mount status using the command "mount" in the command line. it should show something like "/dev/sda1 on /media".

i'm sorry, i'm new to linux, but if your stick was mounted correctly, you should be able to navigate to that directory in the emulator and see your games in the folder.
  • Hey @fuip,

I'm kinda new too.
    I mounted the usb on /media and yeah, I navigate to /media in the emulator file selector and nothing's there. Maybe it's the exfat format, but I've already installed the driver and I can see and navigate to it, for example, using and FTP client:
    I don't know, I've copied the ROMS on a FAT32 usb and I'll try that
  • Hi there,

don't know if my failures will be of use, but I've managed to create a folder on the boot SD card itself and navigate from within PCSX and play the games from that - success!

BUT… I would like to store the games on a USB stick or an SD card in a USB reader to stop the boot SD from filling up. I've tried both with this same result. USB Stick or SD in USB card reader (formatted FAT32) with the same working game folders copied to it. I can navigate to the USB stick or Card from within PCSX, but I only get as far as the volume title and it won't let me see the contents of the volume to choose a folder.

This must have a simple answer but I haven't found it yet. anybody got any clues?

Steve
  • Can you provide any more details on how you "installed the exfat-fuse driver"? I am new to this and I am trying to store all my ROMS on a sub drive. I found a website...

http://raspi.tv/2012/mount-a-usb-flash-drive-on-raspberry-pi

that has instructions, but I am getting a "wrong fs type, bad superblock" error when I try to mount the drive.

Thank you!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!