Minipac only responds when another keyboard is plugged in.
  • As soon as I unplug my keyboard from the Pi2 and boot up the Minipac no longer responds.
    Any ideas on this one guys?
  • uh, keep the keyboard?
  • but in all seriousness, I think that I've run into this before. If I remember right, it's just that you need to force a module to load.

do this:
    sudo nano /etc/modules

at the end of the file, add:
    evdev

save, exit, then restart. hopefully that will work, or at least point you in the right direction.
  • Cheers! yeah if it sends me in the right direction ;o)
  • Think Caver and I are having the same problem evdev didn't work for me unfortunately. I'm using an external usb soundcard to have clear sound and I'm using the HDMI monitor. I'm not sure if this is doing anything to do with the problem.
  • First, what I would try:
    boot up with your ipac/minipac and keyboard plugged in, then type lsmod That will list all of the modules loaded. Then restart with the keyboard unplugged and do it again. figure out if there are any modules not being loaded.

you may want to give this a try (there are instructions for wheezy and jessie):
    http://www.kasploosh.com/weblog/14000/14016-debian_jessie_usb_keyboard.html
  • ahh, that makes sense. I didn't realize that the ipac or minipac registered themselves as keyboards.

I don't believe that there is a wildcard. I've been through the documentation quite a bit and don't remember seeing anything like that.

you could use this little python code to make the changes for you (I haven't tested it extensively, so make a backup of your advmame.rc file first).

advreplace.py
  • as far as I can tell, advancemame doesn't handle controls the way that you are hoping. I think that 'or' is about its extent. You can probably find a utility that will allow you to map multiple buttons to specific combos. There's a utility on windows called 'autohotkey' that lets you do that sort of stuff. There may be a linux based version.

so, the script. The script will run through the advmame.rc file looking for a specific regular expression pattern:

pattern = re.compile("((?<=\]\s)|(?<=scan0\]\sor\s))keyboard\[\d,\w+\](?!\sor\skeyboard\[\d,\w+\])")

the pattern looks for keyboard[#,text-or-number] preceded by either '] ' or 'scan0] or' and then it requires that it is not followed by ' or keyboard[#,text]'

so basically it is looking for patterns like this:
    input_map[coin1] keyboard[1,scan0] or keyboard[0,1]
    input_map[coin2] keyboard[1,2]

and would turn them into this:
    input_map[coin1] keyboard[1,scan0] or keyboard[0,1] or keyboard[0,1]
    input_map[coin2] keyboard[0,2] or keyboard[1,2]

but it would ignore these lines:
    input_map[coin1] joystick[1,1] or keyboard[0,1]
    input_map[coin2] keyboard[0,2] or keyboard[1,2]

*note: the pattern is not super robust, so you need to make sure that there are no spaces inside of the brackets ( i.e.- keyboard[1,a] not keyboard[1, a] )
  • cool, I didn't know that it could handle that.
    yes, the script would break that. You would need to alter the regular expression (regex) in order to account for that. I don't have time right now to look into it, but here's a quick reference guide if you want to take a look. regex doesn't require programming know-how, but it does require patience because it's very easy to accidentally put an extra symbol somewhere or forget a backslash :)
    https://autohotkey.com/docs/misc/RegEx-QuickRef.htm
  • awesome. I'll add that to our configs.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!