How to configure my controllers?
  • I just got piplay running on my raspberry pi 2 that I picked up for the kids this Christmas. Man is there a learning curve!

I've got the emulator running, and have ROMS installed and the games actually work. Where I'm getting jammed up is the configure.py runs, but it doesn't seem to save the settings. How can I check to see if the settings are saved? Specifically I'm working with NES and USB NES controllers
  • OK - so we found the "secret squirrel" (hit tab from the PiPlay menu to get to the configure script) and we were able to run through the configuration for player 1 and player 2 -but when we attempt to start the NES emulator, piplay just crashes out to the command line. Thoughts?
  • BTW - we're thrilled that this is so close to working for us.
  • We got one of the controllers running predictably, and the settings are stored between restarts, so we're getting closer. What we are finding is that when we run through the configuration of player 1 and player 2 (using two identical USB controllers) both players are controlled by a single controller - hit left, both players run left. The second controller doesn't make any difference at all. I'm pretty sure that we should be able to have two identical controllers connected, right?
  • We can use one USB controller for player 1 and the keyboard for player 2. Would love some help getting the second USB controller working.
  • yeah, you should be able to have 2 identical controllers. if you want to send me your config file, I'll take a look at it. The file is located at: /home/pi/.fceux/fceux.cfg
    *note: the .fceux folder is hidden

email it to me at holgate.mark1@gmail.com
  • Emailed it to you. Thanks in advance for your help.
  • ok, I looked at it and everything looked normal. What brand controllers are you using?

also, try running jstest.
    sudo apt-get install joystick -y
    jstest /dev/js0
    jstest /dev/js1

the first line installs the joystick module so that you can run jstest, then the second line runs the test for the first joystick and the third line runs the test for the second joystick.
  • does this also work for a usb game pad?
  • Thank you for your help.

Here's the info from Amazon about them - they are knock off controllers.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034ZOAO0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01
    I'll try the jstest and report results.
  • @cadusis - yes, it works for a usb gamepad

@tomcooper - yeah, those ones should work. There are several of those knockoff snes style (that's what I use). I think that they are actually all the same, just rebranded.
  • I own a logitech gamepad f310 . Should I expect this to work without a problem. or should I purchase a retro for better compatibility. What has been your experience ?
  • @cadusis - I have limited experience with usb controllers, since I use buttons connected directly to the gpio. But so far, every controller that I have tried has worked fine.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!