Audio working for me, but not others
  • First off: I am very unknowledgeable with coding. I knew this going in.

I built a PiPlay for my girlfriend who, for as long as I have known her, has lamented the loss of her NES. So I figured I would make an attempt to build the PiPlay with a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B and put all the NES ROM's on it as a gift for her for Christmas. I got it working perfectly. I even got a case printed that looks like a tiny NES box. She was so happy.

We started it up at her place, and there was no audio. No Mario theme music, and when we went to run a ROM, there was no audio either. She has the audio coming out of her TV through HDMI (we tried other devices and it worked just fine). And we then hooked up the headphone out from the Pi and still couldn't get audio to come out to the TV.

I took it home and plugged it in and it immediately worked just fine. Same setup. Audio is coming out of HDMI to my TV same as hers. I did not supply her with an HDMI cable, we used one of hers, and we tried two different cables to make sure one wasn't faulty but couldn't figure out the problem (and yes, we made sure the TV volume was up as well as the menu system volume). Can someone please help me identifying the cause? I knew I would be a bit over my head since I don't have the skill set for this, but I'm so close to it being perfect that I don't want to give up right at the goal.

Thanks.
  • I thought I had already checked that, and I had. When I opened the config.txt file, it was already set to that as default.
  • try this in your /boot/config.txt:

change hdmi_force_hotplug to:
    HDMI_FORCE_HOTPLUG=1

add/change hdmi_force_edid_audio to:
    HDMI_FORCE_EDID_AUDIO=1
  • Ah, I shall see if that's it. The FORCE_HOTPLUG=1 was already set, but the EDID_AUDIO=1 was not in the file. I shall add and see what that does.

Thank you!
  • no problem, audio issues are troublesome because there are so many different variables to separate

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!