GBA controller setup - Why isn't there one?
  • Setting up the Gameboy Advance out of the box is slightly more involved than the other emulators, it didn't even work at all at first until I re-added the GBA bios. Now I'm using a Saitek P880 USB controller and I can configure it to work exactly as I want for other emulators but there is no menu option for GBA in the controller setup through the PiPlay UI. The games use some default button configuration that makes certain button combos impossible and games unplayable. How can I go about configuring my controller and add the GBA to the controller list in the UI?
  • Hey, I'm having the same problem. I haven't solved it entirely (see http://piplay.org/forum/discussion/1873/gpsp-gameboy-advance-control-mapping#Item_1), but there is a way to map the controls -- it just isn't working for me. It may work for you; I'm using a different controller.

Once you are in the game, hit "F10" on your keyboard, and it'll take you into the configuration menu for that game. There's an option to "configure gamepad input". Unfortunately for me, it seems not to recognize my controller. Let me know if you have any better luck.
  • Yeah, I'm having the exact issue now with my controller. Same exact game too, though that's likely unrelated. I tried copying and modifying some of the controler config files from other emulators to see if that worked. I did create a GPSP menu item for the controller config in the PiPlay UI in this fashion but no dice, it does not reconfigure the controller.
  • OK, I fixed mine by installing the binary files from the emulator's developer. They are located here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2x9tz60v06h15u9/gpsp.tar.gz

Just unzip the file, copy the unzipped files into your GPSP directory. Once I did that, I ran the GBA advance ROM file that I wanted, hit F10 on the keyboard, and configured the gamepad. Unlike previously, all of the keys were there / selectable / assignable, where before I only had one menu option - "back."
  • Interesting. I tried doing that and now I have a syntax error and PiPlay just reboots itself into the main menu.

home/pi/pimame/emulators/gpsp/gpsp: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting")")
  • I followed the instructions above by mkcroce and I can now assign my keys but they don't save on exit. Is there a way to get them to save?
  • Just an update. To get my keys to save I had to use the "Exit gpsp" option in the configuration menu after setting up my inputs.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!