Getting a good 0.37b5 romset with clrmamepro/booting directly to mame4all
  • Hi all! I've spent most of the day doing research and trying to get stuff prepared to build my planned MAME box. I basically want to put my Raspberry Pi (1B, the one with two USB ports) inside an X-Arcade Tankstick to have a fairly self-contained semi-portable arcade box. The plan is to get everything set up to navigate menus with just the Tankstick, and then plug the Tankstick and its trackball into the Pi inside the Tankstick's body and just have the power adapter/HDMI cable sticking out of the casing. Aside from my relative inexperience with Linux (which shouldn't be too much of an impediment due to the great tutorials here and other places), I have two issues:

1) I'm not at all sure that I've properly converted/merged my ROMs to 0.37b5. I ended up with 6013 ZIP files totaling a little over 16gb (too big for my current SD card but I suppose I'll have to manually remove some ROMs that won't work anyway).

2) Once I have the Tankstick configured I'd like to have the pi automatically start up mame4all since I won't be using this setup for anything but MAME. If I can't do that, starting up mame4all from the piplay menu won't be a big hassle, it would just be nice to not have to.

One problem is that I don't think I can feed the proper MAME executable into clrmamepro on my PC, since it's a 64-bit machine and I don't have access to a 32-bit machine. I used a 0.37b5 DAT file instead, but not sure if I did it right.

If anyone has some pointers for me, by all means please let me know! Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry if there's an obvious guide that I've missed--it wasn't for lack of looking!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!