Audio Jack output no longer working since update
  • I have a custom arcade cabinet using a raspberry pi with pi play. It's a pi 2. The screen is VGA (for which I'm using an hdmi adaptor), and sound is via the audio jack to speakers. Since a recent update the sound no longer works.

I've gone through all of the usual options (raspi-config to force audio to the jack etc). If I run speaker-test from the command line, the sound works through the speakers as expected. but pi-play when I start it up still tries to output sound to the hdmi (I've tested this by plugging the pi into my normal tv which has hdmi with audio. I can clearly hear the sound through the tv in pi-play, but at the command prompt using speaker-test, the sound is coming out through the headphones I plugged in. It's like pi play is ignoring the settings and forcing to the hdmi port).

I've tried using the sudo amixer cset numid=3 1 too but no effect.

Does anyone else have a similar set up and are getting a similar problem? I don't know if it was updating pi play that was the problem, or updating the firmware, or updating raspian to be honest, I tend to update all of them when I'm updating anything. Any help appreciated, games just aren't as fun when they're in silent mode!
  • you need to do this:
    sudo nano /boot/config.txt
    then add this anywhere in the config
    hdmi_ignore_edid_audio=1
    save, exit, then restart
    This will tell the pi to ignore all digital audio output and default to the 3.5mm
  • Thanks and sorry it's been so long since I responded. My arcade machine has been sat in the corner for the last 3 months completely neglected.

Thanks for your help. I've made the above amends but it hasn't made any difference. The sound both on the piplay dashboard and all of the games is still going straight to the HDMI cable, NOT the audio jack.
  • Hi ReedyHudds,

I can't say for certain, but I believe I experienced a similar problem with my television. The RPi recognized it as a non-standard resolution and switched to DVI mode for which there isn't any sound. In order to get mine to work I had to force HDMI and then use the custom HDMI mode/group settings to get the resolution right in the config.txt
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5851

My suggestion is to play around with those settings by either forcing hdmi, then switching audio to 3.5mm or trying the VGA video settings.
  • i have exactly the same problem. post the same problem this day...

when i change the settings like you and then start a song for example it works with the speakers. but after restart the raspberry didnt saved the settings. so i have to change the audio everytime. its annoying as hell...

still no solution :(

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!