Problems with scraper info?
  • I am having problems with a few different roms and the info being gathered and presented from the scraper...

1) On many of my NES and SNES roms the description presents the Japanese name of the rom, but is unable to properly display the characters and results in something like "(Japanese: □□□□□□□)" Is it possible to edit the information the scraper displays, and not show the Japanese spelling of the name?
    example - http://i.imgur.com/xjQimYJ.jpg

2) I have one rom (Classic Kong - homebrew SNES version of NES Donkey Kong) that the scraper can't return any info on and displays nothing, is it possible to link this rom to the information of the NES version instead?

3) A few roms (mostly NES and GBA) won't return any info on the games at all. I have found the games on TheGamesdb.net but no matter how I name the roms the scraper won't return anything. Is it possible to manually link these games?
  • @dollerbill,

1) All of the entries are stored on a local database on your machine rightnow. It's located in /home/pi/pimame/pimame-menu/database/games_master.db. So it's technically possible to go through and edit the entries, the problem is, when updates come out, those changes will get overwritten. The alternative would be to change the font used by the theme to one that either supports katakana, or displays blanks instead of squares.

2) you can manually edit rom information by going to the web frontend (Pi's IP address in a browser) ->database admin -> Local Roms (the formatting is off, so it may take some time to find what you are looking for, depending on how many roms you have)

3) Since we have moved to a localised database, we are no longer scraping from the TheGamesdb.net. For systems like NES and GBA our database is fairly comprehensive though. Which games are they?

on a side note, we are planning to host the database on our web server eventually, so that users can modify and add entries.
  • @mholgatem thanks for the reply.

I was unaware you could edit the rom info from within the frontend. With that I was able to easily fix my first and second problems and some of my third. The only remaining issue I have is from #3, several of the Pokemon games for GBA won't return anything from the scraper (specifically Sapphire, FireRed, LeafGreen, Ruby and Emerald versions). One thing I did notice is the Local Roms page has a 'no_match' flag listed for each of these games. I tried editing the info and deleting the flag but after scraping them again the flag reappears. I don't mind manually adding the info for these few games but I thought this may be an odd bug. The names and search terms for all games are accurate so I'm not sure why they aren't returning any results.

thanks again

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!