Submitting Custom Themes
  • You are welcome to post pictures and links to any custom themes that you have created. You are also welcome to email any complete themes to Holgate.Mark1@gmail.com and I will upload them to

https://github.com/mholgatem/piplay-themes

For those of you that missed the previous thread, here are the basics for getting started making your own theme:
    1. Just go into /home/pi/pimame/pimame-menu/themes
    2. copy one of the theme folders (and it's contents) and rename it to whatever you want your theme named
    3. go into that folder and use a text editor to edit theme.yaml
    4. you can use the file /home/pi/pimame/pimame-menu/themes/theme - documented.yaml as a guide, it describes what each part does (though it looks like the formatting got messed up in the last update)
    5. Then you edit the images to make them look the way that you want. You can keep the images more on the smallish side, piplay will resize them based on your settings

It all makes sense to me, but I wrote the whole theme thing. So if you can't figure out how to do something or the documentation isn't clear, let me know so I can help or fix whatever!

• Hi,

I created a Pac-Man theme based on Tron theme. It is my first theme, so do not get your hopes too high ;-)

I put it here:

http://murilogarcia.com.br/files/piplay/piplay_pacman_theme.zip

Hope you like it! Please send me you feedback or ideas for improvements.

Regards,
    Murilo
  • I haven't had a chance to throw it on my pi yet, but just going through the images that come with it, it looks pretty good. I like the background image!
  • Coll!
    I included the Gimp version of some images (.xcf) so it is easy to change them.
    I copied the sound files from the default theme.
  • I uploaded the pacman theme but after trying to switch I was kicked out of the PiPlay GUI and given the message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "launchmenu.py", line 69, in
    main()
    File "launchmenu.py", line 15, in main
    cfg= PMCfg()
    File "/home/pi/pimame/pimame-menu/pmmenu/pmconfig.py", line 60, in__init__
    self.options = PMOptions(config['options'], theme['options'],config[menu_items'],theme['menu_items'])
    File "/home/pi/pimame/pimame-menu/pmmenu/pmconfig.py", line 303, in__init__
    self.info_font = pygame.font.Font(self.theme_pack + self.info_font_file, self,info_font_size)
    IOError: unable to read font filename
    have a nice day ;)

The problem seems to be the font, but try as I might to change the theme.yaml file, each time I edit the file and reboot I am greeted with the same message.

@mholgatem If I delete the /themes/pacman folder will PiPlay automatically start with the default theme? Or is there a way I can change themes from the command line?

edit: I tired to edit the pmconfig.py and pmmenu.py files but didn't see the theme named anywhere in those files.
  • @dollerbill,@murilo - I'm not near my pi, but it looks like the error is in line 85 of pacman/theme.yaml, the file extension is wrong for the file that was included:
    info_font_file: "Lato-Bold.ttf"
    should be
    info_font_file: "Lato-Bold.otf"

You can change your theme manually through the web interface->database admin (like I said though, I'm not near my pi, so I can't remember off hand which category you will need to go into. it should be obvious when you see it though, the entry will say something like theme or current_theme and then list pacman)
  • @mholgatem, that fixed it! Thanks for the help and for the tip about changing the theme using the web interface

@murilo, very cool theme! The images and icons you used all work very well together and the layout is very user friendly as well. Only problem I've seen so far is the pacman font doesn't display numbers, so my IP isn't able to be displayed correctly. Otherwise it all looks good so far
  • @dollerbill, Thanks for the compliments! And sorry for the incovenience, as I said this is my first Theme.

I messed things up, the proper correction is not to change the theme.yaml, but to delete the .otf font file and replace it by the correct .ttf file.

I uploaded a new version with the fix:
    http://murilogarcia.com.br/files/piplay/piplay_pacman_theme_v0.01.zip

Regarding the numbers not being displayed this is very odd, the pac-man fount is not used on the rendering, it was just used for the artwork, the fount used for rendering (defaut.ttf) does have numbers and they do appear on the screen for me.

Here is the screen shot:
    http://murilogarcia.com.br/files/piplay/piplay_pacman_theme_v0.01.jpg

Cheers!
  • @mholgatem is there a way to define where the menu icons align in the grid setup? I would like to use 1 column of menu items but have it align on the right side of the screen. I tried adding a 'menu_item_align: right' in the first set of options but the column still centers itself. Anyway around this?
  • as of 8beta9, no. What you could do is make really wide transparent menu icons and then align the image on the right hand side of those icons. It wouldn't be a true 'right justified' since smaller screen resolutions would cut it off. If it's just for your own personal arcade though, you could probably get it looking pretty close to what you want.
  • is it possible to change order of icons? For example I want that the first one is "shutdown". Thank you
  • That is a good question. @mholgatem, would changing the order in theme.yaml work here?
  • The order is set by piplay itself. The default settings will first alphabetize the list, then pull all items that have a rom count to the front of the list, and finally pull all items listed as a "Utility" to the end.
    To get shutdown to the front of the list, you need to disable the rom sorting ('Tab' in main menu, set Show roms 1st to False). Then you need to go into the web-frontend->database admin->menu_items

Change Shutdown 'type' from Utility to GAME, then you need to rename the 'label' to something that will cause it to show up first alphabetically. probably something like '! Shutdown !' or '' should work.
  • Ok thanks a lot for the answer!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!