Another Xin Mo Question (Mutliple Button Presses)
  • So I went the cheap route and got a Xin Mo keyboard encoder for another build project. I now have this issue where the buttons are working, but they are finicky. Pressing a direction once will do multiple presses, and holding a direction will have the effect of pressing and letting go (the character moves in the direction, then stops, then moves again, etc.) I have seen that there were some kernel build fixes, but I thought that was compiled with the latest beta so I am not sure if rebuilding the kernel will fix this. I really wanted to ask if I get a iPac or Minipac, will that just fix the problem? I am assuming this issue is with the Xin Mo encoder, and not how piplay handles a keyboard encoder, correct? I appreciate any help you guys can give me on this.

Raspberry pi: Model 1 B
    Build: .8 Beta 9
  • @Rydon - it can be a couple of issues. The first that comes to mind is what type of switches do your joystick and buttons use? momentary, leaf, snap? You may be having debounce issues, which is when the contacts either bounce off of each other (creating a double connection) or the contacts come close enough to make a connection but then move apart before making their real connection.

While I don't have any experience with leaf type, I've been told that you can manually adjust them to compensate for debounce.
  • As said here, http://piplay.org/forum/discussion/1771/xin-mo-and-beta9#Item_5

take my raspicade kernel nel, install it easily with a simple script. reboot and the multi presse button bug is gone away
  • Thanks for the info guys. I will try the kernel nel and see how that does. If that does not resolve it, I will check the switches, as they are old (from previous cabinets/left over CPs). I'll report back with my findings.
  • ian57: I am getting an error message when trying to extract the tar file.

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
    tar: Child returned status 1
    tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

I have tried renaming the file, using tar -xzf, sudo at the beginning, etc. I still get the error. Could there be an issue with your kernel on your end? My linux is pretty limited so I apologize if I missed an easy fix.
  • ok, I have it installing now. Thanks for the help. Little tidbit for anyone hitting some trouble installing, I had to use the following:

wget https://github.com/ian57/Raspicade-configuration-files/raw/master/kernel/custom_kernel_1.20150407-1.tar.gz

gunzip custom_kernel_1.20150407-1.tar.gz

tar -xzf custom_kernel_1.20150407-1.tar.gz

cd custom_kernel_1.20150407-1

sudo ./install.sh

Ill let you know how it goes. Thanks again for all the help!
  • Hi all, kinda resurrecting this. I have two boards each connected via USB to the Pi for 2 controllers. It appears as though the Pi is processing it as a single controller. any suggestions to split them out?

This is a stop-gap fix as long term I'm going to try and use I2C to connect the controllers and use the rest of the I/O to control LEDs.
  • 2 separate boards each w/ their own USB?
  • What output do you get when you type 'lsusb' into the command line? does it list each?
  • Device 008 ID 0079:0006 DragonRise Inc. Generic USB Joystick
    Device 007 ID 0079:0006 DragonRise Inc. Generic USB Joystick
  • hmm.. I can't seem to find anything about if two joysticks ID's are the same. I'll keep looking around though.
  • btw, if you are wanting to do I2C, I grabbed these off of ebay for like $1 each. They come from china, so it takes a couple weeks in shipping.
  • yeah, I thought about grabbing some of those; but I wasn't in a hurry and didn't really want to do all that soldering :D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!