How to configure the boot secuence
  • I installed PiPlay 0.8.0 beta 9 without problems. After this, I installed AdvMame and mame4all . Each time you start the OS 's main screen appears PiPlay me , with the icons to launch the emulators. I wish I could change the boot sequence to boot directly mame4all . I hace two questions :
    - How the boot sequence is changed , which under MS -DOS would be editing the file autoexec.bat
    - Where the executable mame4all and other emulators are located, to call a game directly from the boot sequence or from the command line .
    Thanks.
  • @trmsalcedo - the main piplay application gets launched from /home/pi/.profile

if you want to check the commands for running different emulators, follow these steps:
    1. on a separate computer, in a browser, type in the ip of your raspberry pi
    2. select database admin (at the top)
    3. select menu items (on the left)

each command is made up of a couple components. I'll use Mame4all as an example
    • command: /home/pi/pimame/emulators/mame4all-pi/mame
    • include full (rom) path: 0 (false)
    • include extension: 0 (false)
    • override menu: 0 (false)

(if "override menu: 1", then that means that it will have it's own built in game selector)

so if you want to run the rom 1943kiii.zip the full command would be like this:
    /home/pi/pimame/emulators/mame4all-pi/mame "1943kiii"
  • Hi holgatem.

Your particulars have been very useful. Thank you.
  • yep, let me know if you have any other questions
  • No at this moment. Thanks
  • do you know where I can find the .profile file? I installed piplay 0.8.0 Beta 9. I don't see it at the location listed above.
  • never mind. i didn't know .profile was hidden. now my question is how to boot straight to advmame GUI version skipping the piplay splash screen
  • In the console $ promt just enter advmame
  • sorry, i'm new to configuring pi play but it's not in the section where I rem out the piplay right and add advmame? If it is, I tried that. It said that I need the name of the rom. Or do you mean the main console setting before it boots up the piplay image? I will try to grab screen shots if it seems confusing to you.
  • Ok. If you want to run directly advmame insted of piplay on boot, you have to edit file .profile, and replace the line where it says "launch_pimenu" (I dont remember exactly the name) with "advmame". (without "")
  • yes. i edit the .profile line and added advmame on there. But upon start up, it states no game exists. when i included a game and restart it, it says that the game isn't supported. However, the same game starts when I run it from AdvMame in the PiPlay menu.

I'm not sure how pmconfig.py calls the AdvMame application to start the AdvMame GUI but that's what I want to achieve without having to go through the PiPlay menu.
  • i think it's an older version that can boot straight to the gui correct?
  • I have to try it but now I'm traveling . Tomorrow I'll tell you
  • Certainly I tried and it dosnt works. I found a way in http://piplay.org/forum/discussion/488/boot-directly-to-advance-mame/p1 but there is a diferent interface and in my case, the game menĂº sounds bad. Try it
  • yeah. i see the different game menu. doesn't play all the games. Might have to end up going through PiPlay.
  • for the command line, you need to include a game.

advmame [rom name]
    ugh. I would then need to create a menu and make it run based on the selection.
  • Hi, I borrow this thread...

I also have PiPlay 0.8.0 beta 9, and trying to figure out autoboot.

Anyone know how to autoboot into FBA? Or do I have to go though the piplay-menu?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!