RP 2 and .8V9 Mame issues with USB Trackball and Spinner and some other weirdness.
  • I'm running the latest version of PiPlay on an RP2 and using the xarcade tankstick dual w/ trackball (usb apt.) and a spinner also USB. I did apt-get rpi-update and apt-get rpi-upgrade prior to running the mame install.

I've had some issues setting up mame to work with the trackball (TB) and spinner (SP). Both trackball and the spinner work on the desktop and menu's. Occasionally (but not every boot) the TB and SP work in Mame For All. When running games in M4A the response from the spinner on something like tempest is slushy but working.

In advmame, I pushed TAB and tried to program the TB and the devices weren't recognized. Then, following some of the older suggestions in this forum to get advmame working by changing lines in advmame.rc to /dev/input/mouse0 didn't work. I was able to get the mice recognized in advmame by using /dev/input/byinput/"devicename" for both but the devices were not working correctly and were over sensitive(?). I tried both the event-devicename and just devicename files in the folder... no change in behavior.

---Weirdnesses---

I noticed that roms that worked before changes to advmame.rc would report missing files when launched depending on settings. Occasionally this would happen with mame for all. The only solution was to re-image the SD card and the same roms would work again.

After one of the re-images I dropped the test roms that I'd been using via ftp but M4A didn't report any roms. Exited PiPlay and verified that the roms were in the correct folder. Then I launched mame from the M4A emulators folder and the roms are present and working.
  • I have the exact same setup . RP2 and xtankstick. I can't get the roms to work and xtankstick to work? Any help or direction please?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!