Controller key mapping documentation
  • Hi, first let me say I like PiPlay and see the much hard work was done.

I use latest .8 BETA 9, and struggle to have my key mapping working on different emulators.
    I use an IPAC-mini with 2 joysticks and 8 buttons for each player.
    I wanted to use custom key mappings, but not luck, so for simplicity I just reverted to standard MAME key mapping in IPAC config. BUT this doesn't work either.

Here is what I do:
    I use the TAB key from PiPlay UI to configure each emulator in turn;
    I found that doing this, only some keys are mapped, some don't.
    For instance, I had to remap for 2 players, the buttons 5 and 6... using the MAME UI. No way to do this using the PiPlay configurator.

SO my questions are (in order):

1/ Why the PiPlay configurator doesn't work as it should ? (although I use MAME very common mapping) I'd like a
    technical reason on what can make it fail in the process.

2A/ Is there a documentation on WHAT the config script does?
    I mean, I suppose that the mapping made in the config script is saved somewhere, and then converted into each emulator config format ? If yes, when, is it during the mapping config, or each time the emulator is run, etc...
    What I'd like to understand is the flow from UI config program to emulator use of this config.

2B/ Where is the key/controller mapping saved, for each emulator ?
    Since PiPlay has a fixed set of emulators built-in, I suppose these paths are well-know.
    I'd like to see this troubleshooting information somewhere on this forum;
    Searching each emulator's homepage is a pain, as PiPlay is an aggragation of them, and use custom config. Well I suppose, as I sometime don't see the paths that are described in official help pages of these emulators.

3C/ If I can't use PiPlay key config, I can understand that, as the software is not "final"; but where do I do my manual changes to make a correct key mapping ? Yes this is related to point 2B above.

4/ As a side note, I'm sure this is related to the problem : I see many errors using Genesis and some other emulators, complaining about "invalid key" like "LCTRL".... which is a valid key name, normally... at least for MAME; well... :(
    I can provide exact errors and a screen shot if needed, if it can help to solve problems.

More generally : I found that who-do-what is not clear: MAME emulation is present in 3 different versions : MAME4all, AdvMame, FinalBurn. But in the key config UI, there is only one term : "arcade"; so I suppose that the mapping is performed for the 3 emulators?

As you see, I have many questions, but this is because I didn't find the information clearly stated in the "doc" (wiki, forum...). If this is present somewhere, well I didn't find the correct term to find it !

I have other questions - yes problems.. ;-) but not KEY related, so I'll post an other message for them.

Any help is welcome !

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!