Mame Roms that actually work
  • I've seen this asked a few times but not really seen a genuine or at least straight forward answer. I've got PiPlay set up on a pi2, and am trying to find roms that either work with advmame or mame4all. I know there's all this stuff about mame4all using 0.37b5 roms and advancemame using 0.106 roms. Unfortunately that doesn't help when all you have is zip files and none of them seem to mention the version number.

Plus irrespective of that, practically none of the roms I have ever work with either mame system.

I've got 6,000 mame roms that came in a huge zip file. So far I've gone through about 500 of them, with a massively painstaking process of copying them over to the Pi, trying them on both mame4all and advmame, seeing they don't work (vast majority quickly produce a list of missing files then go back to the pi screen), then deleting them again. So far out of the 500+ tried, I've found 12 that actually work.

Surely, someone, somewhere, is willing to just provide a list of roms that actually work? Is it a legality thing or a pride thing that stops people from providing noobs that answer? Like, 'hey, I worked hard to find some working roms, so screw you and your shortcuts buddy!' ;)

I'm just so frustrated, it seems like a great system, I've just spent a small fortune (for me anyway) on a custom cabinet and all the trimmings, as well as spending a couple of weekends putting together everything, only to conclude I can barely find any games to actually play on it. I can appreciate it must be difficult finding working roms given each was often developed for custom cabs over a couple of decades, so getting one working must be tough.

The alternative would be a simpler way of maybe being able to delete games that don't work from the rom list in PiPlay, OR even better, while the rom scraper is going through scraping the roms, would it be possible for it to also verify each game and instantly drop it if it sees the emulator can't run it? THAT would be awesome!

Any help appreciated. All the roms seem to work fine on windows emulators I've tried, which is even more annoying. tbh I'm about ready to ditch the pi and just shove a PC in there, it's just a shame really, I like the idea of emulators running off such a tiny box! :)

Cheers,

Dale.
  • @ReedyHudds - It's not necessarily a list of roms that work, they need to be the right version (which means that they need to contain the correct files inside of them). There are also legal issues when it comes to telling people where to find roms. The best way to get a working set of roms is to use the program clrmamepro. It's free and works reasonably well. it will run through all of your roms and repackage them with the correct files.

Clrmamepro Tutorial
  • OK, thanks, I'll take a look at that
  • yeah, I can tell you that I also grabbed a set of ~6,000 roms (possibly the same one as you). After running clrmame pro on it, I ended up with 6,148 roms (+ clones) for advmame and 2,264 roms (+ clones) for mame4all. I still run into the occasional missing file error, but it's maybe only 1 in 100.
  • I'm going to have to start looking into this soon. Anyone had clrmame pro running on a mac? Looks to be a Linux WINE/Mac crossover but I'm not really sure what that means.
  • how can i get advmame roms?My roms can't be used,I tried many times,could you can give me some roms
  • Hey all, first post here, but I've been using EMUs since late 90s... always been an acid MAME fan! So, I have a RPI2 with PiPlay on a 16gb SD. I'm FTP's into the MAME ROMs folder and ready to upload... now I've got sets of ROMs already, but I was wondering if there is a definitive list of known working ROMS. Also, can you get all the other associated bits like cabinet artwork etc? I'll try the CLRMAME application but it looks like the domain is for sale! Thanks guys!
  • @Steve_W, the roms that you have will probably work after you've run them through clrmamepro
    The two versions of mame that you need are:
    (dat download links are both pointing to http://www.progettosnaps.net/dats/)
    advmame - 106.dat
    mame4all - 37b5.dat
  • Thanks bud, blimey I'm having to really cast my mind back... the DAT files, these are the data files that are read by MAME right? Once I've grabbed these DATs, which directory do I upload them to? Thanks for your help!
  • sorry, I wasn't very clear earlier, I was kind of in a rush. You will use those dat files for clrmamepro. It looks at them, then compiles the roms based on what the dat files say.
  • Ah OK I get it... I'm playing with this now using the info from here and a YouTube video, I'll post back the results...
  • I'm just transferring all my MAME Roms across from a set of DVDs I've got, must be about 10 years old! It's the 0.97 version romset, taking ages to transfer as it's 11 disks and each one is taking about 45 minutes, once complete I'll put them through clrmamepro & FTP them to the Pi... by the way, can the Pi take an external hard drive as the complete Romset is about 45GB...
  • yes, the pi can handle an external hard drive. For decent performance, it needs to either be self powered, or plugged into a powered usb hub, or use a 64GB thumb drive. You just use fstab to mount the drive.
  • Nice one thanks... so I carefully followed advice and it all went great! I now have about 2,200 ROMs all of which seem OK (I've played several already). I connected & configured my X Arcade dual tankstick (it's the original model with a standard RS232 connection into a USB conveerter) and just using the standard MAME config via the tab key I set all the buttons to what I wanted.
    Only problem I've encountered so far is there is some lag in Track N Field with the jump button... I'll probably sort that out, but otherwise well happy!
  • is pi2 playing the Midway stuff perfectly yet? MK 1/2 and NBA Jam?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!