16x2 LCD Panel
  • I've been messing about with connecting a 16x2 LCD panel to my Raspberry Pi with reasonable success.
    I noticed that AdvanceMame supports this using a program called LCDProc.
    There are various tutorials that show you how to connect cheap LCD panels to the PI using the GPIO connector and other tutorials showing you how to get it to work with LCDProc.
    Connecting it to the PI is the easy part, there are also Python script examples showing you how to display information to the LCD screen.
    The tricky part was getting LCDProc to communicate with the display.
    LCDProc uses drivers for different LCD screens and there is one written specifically for the PI. The tutorials offer a download to this driver. What they don't tell you in the tutorial is that this driver does not work with the PI 2 without modifying one of the files. Apparently this is because the GPIO works slightly differently in the PI 2.
    Anyway once this file was modified (or in my case an already modified version downloaded) the LCDProc welcome screen was displayed on the LCD screen and Advmame was able to communicate with it.
    You then use the script options in advmame.rc to enable some simple data to be displayed on the LCD panel such as Game Title, Manufacturer, Year released & game speed.
    I've not got to this part yet & will try it tonight, but looks pretty simple.

So, my question is, does anyone know if any of the other emulators bundled with PiPlay have LCDProc support?
    Also is this something that could be added into future releases of PiPlay for the menu? Not sure what benefit it would have, but it looks flash :)
  • Just tried it and works a treat with Advmame :)
  • Well it didn't quite 'work a treat'!
    On some games, the script causes an error when it loads and locks advmame up.
    I moved the script to activate when the p1 button is pushed. This seemed to work OK but then some games still locked when the script activated!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!