Keyboard not working in latests PiPlay release
  • Anyone encounter the keyboard not working once a ROM is loaded? Works fine in the menus prior. Fresh install and no dice unfortunately. Please sing out if youve encountered this or have a remedy.

Thanks!
  • Using which emulator? You might want to check the controls section in mame.cfg
  • @StrayMongrel - did you run the controller config? This latest update overwrote a lot of config files because we converted the emulator folder into a git repository.
  • In the main menu for piplay, pres [TAB] to bring up the popup menu, then select 'controller setup' then 'arcade'
  • actually the 'arcade' is for advmame and FBA. Mame4all has it's own built in controller config. so you'd be ok to do that.
  • I didn't run the controller config no, worked fine previously so didn't bother. Will give it a go.

Thanks.
  • AdvMAME was where I was encountering the problems BTW.
  • @TheStrayMongrel - yeah, most (if not all) of the config files were overwritten, that should fix it for you. let me know if you keep having problems though
  • Okay so tried configuring the buttons (arcade stick to start then with just the keyboard) and now I'm getting this error and ROMS wont load at all. Wondering if something is amiss with my joystick and buttons thats been locked in (for the want of a better term) even after unplugging that control setup and reverting just to the keyboard.

Here is the error:
    Relaunch 4
    Invalid argument 'keyboard[1,scan0] or keyboard[0,return]' for option 'input_map[start1]'.
    Invalid key 'return'.
    Valid format is keyboard[BOARD, KEY]/joystick_button[JOYSTICK,BUTTON]/mouse_button[MOUSE,BUTTON].

Note this flashes up super quick then returns to the Piplay home screen (was a bugger trying to catch it on my phone camera!).

Thoughts?
  • hmm, that's weird. it looks like some updates didn't go through for the advmame formatter. basically, where it says 'keyboard[0,return]' it should say 'keyboard[0,enter]'

for right now, if you just go into /home/pi/.advance/advmame.rc
    then find any instance that says keyboard[0,return] and change it to keyboard[0,enter]

that should fix it (it will revert back if you use the controller config again though)
  • Okay great thanks. Will give that a burl. Keep you posted.
  • Okay so jumped in and had a look at advmame.rc and weirdly nowhere in there was there the "keyboard[0, return]" command it prompted me toward. Restarted and tried again and it through up a problem with "lctrl" key. This happened over and over after reconfiguring the controls a number of times. Jumped in and adjusted the lctrl to another key and the ROM then fired up. This seemed to make the controls a little unpredictable though, with them sometimes working and other times not (that could well be a separate issue though).
  • @beta_test, yes, it's true. that is how the controller setup tool works. You can modify the formatter itself though ->/home/pi/pimame/controller-setup/formatters/advmame.py
  • @TheStrayMongrel - you can do this in command line to get the updated version of the formatter:
    wget -O /home/pi/pimame/controller-setup/formatters/advmame.py https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mholgatem/controller-setup/master/formatters/advmame.py
  • I've got a problem on the main PiPlay menu where my joystick and buttons won't register with PiPlay so I can't navigate and select emulators. I can do so via my keyboard, but not the joystick/buttons. When I select an emulator I can move down the ROM list with the joystick, but I can not select a ROM. If I use the 'enter' key on the keyboard to go into a ROM then the joystick & buttons work fine. I'm thinking I need to remap the main menu controls, but don't know how or where the config file is for this. Anyone having similar problems or can anyone help? Thanks!
  • @Imgpoz - the config for the piplay controls is located at /home/pi/pimame/pimame-menu/controller.yaml
  • Thanks @mholgatem. I was able to edit the controller.yaml file and change the value for the 'Select' command under the PiMame menu to be the input that my Button 1 is mapped to through my IPAC. Hope you & Shea keep up the great work!
  • Thanks! Glad it worked!
  • Okay so interesting development on the unpredictable buttons/controller config. I fired up Mame4all rather than the typical advMame (hadnt been able to get mame4all working in previous releases for some reason so hadnt considered it) Anyway a game worked and everything seemed to work really well. Shoot and bomb were buttons 1 and 2, quit worked, everything in its right face. Thought that I'd try Street Fighter seeing it used all 6 buttons... and worked fantastically. The same game in advMame's controls were all over the shop, some buttons working some not. The 2 button games shoot and bomb were buttons 5 and 6.

Of course mame4all is a lot more limited to as far as compatible ROMS so would be great to get advMame working the same way. I assume that advMame is originally configured to behave the same was a mame4all but its certainly not behaving that way at the moment... any idea what might be making it go haywire?

Also still having that issue advMame ROMS wont work if i reconfigure the controller, and it throws the "lctrl" key error as the cause of the problem.

Thanks very much for all your help guys. Slowly making steps forward. :)
  • Think i might try a fresh install see if that fixes anything.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!