Getting AdvMenu background sound working
  • I'm trying to get AdvanceMenu background sound working. I filled a directory with MP3 files (got one of "PacMan fever" !)
    but when the music starts playing it sounds grating and terrible.

I seem to get the impression that the Pi is getting floored by resources placed on it by the menu, and that the sound is under the pump or something. I see some old threads relating to turning off the alsa device, but even when I turn the setting back to default it still sounds terrible.

Perhaps it's the sample rate of the MP3 it doesn't like? I will experiment. My Pi is clocked to 900Mhz
  • Hey nayphee,

I've tried to get the sound in advmenu to work properly and it's just awful...Someone else had commented on the board that it's no better via a USB audio device, so I'm assuming it has more to do with the limitations of the Pi than it does with advmenu.
  • I tried reducing the sample rate in advmenu, but this didn't help either.
    I guess I can keep playing with twiddles, or maybe reconvert the music to a WAV, or maybe drop the MP3 to a lower bit rate.

Additionally, I thought it could be the volume. It seems like it's exceeding the speaker cut off frequency and hitting the red levels. tried changing the volume to -7 and this didn't help either. :(
  • I also tried converting my files to .wavs as well as changing the sample rate, bit rate, and volumes...no luck. Sorry I don't have a better answer :(
  • I noticed this:-

http://www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/2013/02/10/fixing-poppingclicking-audio-on-raspberry-pi/

Although the audio I'm hearing sounds more grating... as if it's being sampled by a Commodore 64 tape deck :D

I'm using pimame 0.7 beta 1, but perhaps I might have a go at using the pimame installer on the latest raspbian. Maybe there is a firmware fix. Additionally I do notice some sound bcm errors in the console when I leave advmenu, so sound is probably having issues somewhere.

I really want this to play in the background!!
  • Ha! That's awesome!

I hope you find a solution. I ended up giving up and using mame4all instead...much smoother game play, configurable splash screen and menu, but nowhere near as configurable as AdvMenu.

Good Luck!
  • I've noticed that mame4all works a lot better. I couldn't get Asteroids Deluxe to display in Advancemame, but it worked OK in Mame4all. I think there are a few other games I couldn't get working in Advancemenu that are OK in Mame4all.

Fewer display/sound dropouts in Mame4all as well, but I have no idea what the hell is causing this problem. It could just be that my TV is giving the Pi a hard time. That's not very promising if I want the pi to run on any HDMI enabled TV I throw at it.
  • I'm POSITIVE it's a limitation of the Pi and how AdvMenu works...I tried it out of the analog output and got the same results.
  • That sucks.

I'm almost tempted to try compiling advancemame on FreeBSD/pi just for fun to see if it's any better! (doubting it, but could be a fun experiment)
  • Definitely a fun experiment, but not an ideal work around! If you do get it working though, please let us know!
  • I would love to see how it runs in FreeBSD :D
  • I'm not even sure if they have HDMI working on the FreeBSD build. I tried it the other day only to get a blank TV screen. I believe it may work only via console.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!