Snes not working via HDMI
  • I have a problem with pisnes over HDMI.

As soon as I start a game I get the sond and picture severly distorted. The hdmi connection drops and gets back with about 5 secounds intervals.

If I remove the strech settings in the config I get working picture and sound (but a very small picure). It even works just fine with the strech enabled if I use the composite-out instead of HDMI.
    I have now tried on 2 different raspberrys and on 2 different TVs with the same result!

Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this issue?
  • I've been experiencing a similar problem with my Pi's HDMI connection to my TV. As soon as I select an emulator from the menu (doesn't matter which), it will load up but the picture and the sound randomly seems to be dropping out, recovering, and then dropping out again. If I exit the emulator and go back to the text menu the screen goes back to normal.

It sounds like a video mode problem or something, but I don't know where to start looking. Doing startx on the Pi works fine with no issue. I've clocked my pi to 900Mhz, and have the latest 0.7 beta Pimame. It's really frustrating.
  • thats really really odd. I usually test on both. What TV are you connecting to?
  • One Brand new Lg 60" plasma and on one 1/2 year old panasonic 50" plasma. Both full 1080p screens.

The other emulators are working just fine, its only piSnes that have this issue.
  • Ok, after some further testing The issue is even more strange...

If I run ./snes9x romname.zip everything is working just like it should on both raspberries! If I however start the game from the gui then the HDMI is not working just like before.

So it seems that the snes9x.gui is the issue in all of this.

Is there some other graphical or menu-based way of starting snes games available in pimame?

• I have an LG 47" LCD running at full HD
    I've even tried mucking about with /boot/config.txt to boost the HDMI signal, but it's all in vain.

Strangely the MAME4ALL menu seems to hold up better as well as the GNGEO menu, although I've had MAME4ALL drop out on me in-game a few times, but it seems to happen less. The PCSX menu also likes to drop out fairly often.
    This is really frustrating. It probably has something to do with my TV, but I would have thought that the pciture would stay relatively stable on whatever screen I hook the PI into... :(
  • How high did you try boosting the HDMI signal? I had a monitor that would only be stable when I set the hdmi_boost to 9! I believe it goes up to 11 (ha), but they don't recommend it.
  • I had it set to 4.... but I'll try 7 later on.

Why didn't they make 10 stronger, and set 10 as the top number, and make that a little stronger? ;)
  • LOL...because it goes to 11. It's one more.
  • Damn I'm still getting lots of flicker and sound cut outs on my TV. I even updated the TV firmware and that doesn't fix it. Tried playing with the /boot/config to tweak the hdmi settings to no avail.

It only seems to cut out when SDL is running for the emulators. I have no such problems when X is running on the desktop.... and interestingly the menu for GNGeo doesn't flicker at all.

I wonder if this is a resolution problem that can be fixed by tweaking configuration somewhere?
  • newest version and previous version of pimame (7) seemed to run SNES fine on the few games I did test.

Check your ROMs - I did get several bad ROMs before it would work.
  • so I did get the issue where I would lose HDMI connection after running SNES, in 0.7.5 I changed it so that snes9x is run via advmenu instead of the regular gui, and that seems to have helped. Let me know if you still run into the issue.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!