[SOLVED] Where can a pi noob find help?
  • Hi everyone, I'm a little lost. I'm not sure where I should be posting this or even if my trouble is with pimame. Although I'm not scared of tech but pretty noobish and I can't seem to figure out what I should be doing. I just got a model B pi and since I'm a huge arcade fan the first thing I wanted to do was try pimame. I downloaded the 7.1 beta and extracted it, ran Win32DiskImager and placed it on a freshly fat32 formatted 32gb micro sd card in a sd card adapter using a usb sd card reader. The write took a few minutes and when it finished it ejected it, put it in my pi and plugged in the power source, I can't even read the text that comes up before it reboots so I have no idea what is going on, did I miss something basic, prepping the pi? Is pimame not a stand alone os? do I need to format the rest of the card or put something else there?

Here is a video of what happens when I power on the pi:

http://s1154.photobucket.com/user/singingkey101/media/raspberry pi/20130606_123246.mp4.html

Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.
  • Hi @pickles. You are indeed in the right place.

PiMAME is based on raspbian, which is a raspberry pi version of Debian. So it is a standalone OS which is tweaked and emulators and menu etc added.

Can you post a little more about your setup - i.e. what is connected to the pi.

Also, are you able to successfully load and boot raspbian?
  • sure

I've got a usb keyboard and mouse the 32gb microsd card and a 1680x1050 monitor connected with a 3' hdmi-dvi cable. Is that enough info?
  • Um, user error found. I thought my ac adapter was 1500ma and it was only 150. Booted fine off of a 1.5a usb port on my pc. Don't worry though I'll be back for more advice I'm sure ;)
  • I'm glad you got it resolved! Have fun with PiMAME :)
  • Awesome glad you got sorted!

Post marked as solved and closed.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!