Does PiPlay have any provision for launching a custom command prior to starting an emulator?
  • The scenario I have in mind is that I have an Ultimarc Ultra-stik 360, which is a USB HID device that has a small utility for Linux that uploads a "map" to the device so that the analog stick is treated like a digital device where particular positions within the range correspond to "digital"-like behavior (4-way, 8-way, etc.) Under Windows, some of the MAME shells have a provision to launch the corresponding utility with a command line that tells the stick which way to behave before the game starts. I'd love to do the same thing with PiPlay, so, for example launching Qbert would be 4-way diagonals only, or Sinistar would be full analog, or Joust is left-right only, and so forth.

Is there a Pi-Play feature that would allow this kind of preconfiguration from the rom selection menu?

Thanks-
    Andy
  • if you edit the 'command:' section for each emulator in the /home/pi/pimame/pimame-menu/config.yaml file, you can prefix your command to the original command. I believe that you just separate them with ' && '
  • I think that doesn't quite do it: While the command to invoke the utility is always the same, it needs a parameter that specifies which controller map to upload to the stick which will potentially be different for every ROM. So the global config.yaml can't do the job. Is there a rom-specific overlay or override section for this?
  • On second thought it occurs to me that since the config.yaml allows you to point to a different executable, and obviously must include the romname as a parameter, I could write a trivial script to point PiMame at instead, which would upload the right stick config based on the romname, and THEN launch mame4all.

Maybe that'll do the trick.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!