Mame4All enter/exit slowness after taking ownership...
  • Hi all,

This may be more of an issue for Mame4All, but I figured it might be worth asking in case anyone has experienced a similar problem.

When first installed, Mame4All started up games and exited games quite swiftly. However, I noticed that the game settings, high scores, and coin in were not being remembered. So after,

chown pi /home/pi/emulators/mame4all-pi
    chmod 770 /home/pi/emulators/mame4all-pi

everything was working as expected. Game volume settings, high scores, coin in and any other changes I had made inside of an idividual game were being remembered.

But now there is a much longer lag between loading up a game and exiting out of a game. It's not unbearable, but it's definitely noticeable.

Has anyone had these issues, or can anyone think of what might be going on to cause the delay?

Thank you!
  • So, it seems that after some tooling around, the permissions are the definite cause for the lag in entering/exiting the games. It seems like this is a necessary evil because the only way to get Mame4All to remember your keyboard maps or high scores is for the "pi" account to have write access to "cfg/", and "hi/" folders. As soon as the permissions on these folders are changed, the games take longer to exit.

Originally, I changed the ownership of the entire "mame4all-pi" folder to the "pi" account which resulted in a very noticeable lag. But, when I only changed the permissions of the "cfg/" and "hi/" folders, there was still a lag, but a lot more bearable.

I hope this helps, but if anyone else has a better solution, I'd love to hear it!
  • thanks for the info.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!