SOLUTION: PiMAME and a Spinner

• Setting up an Ultramarc SpinTrak spinner:

Quick Setup Guide: (spinner is on /dev/input/mouse0 - typicaly PiMAME detects spinner as mouse0 or mouse1)

Edit the advmame.rc file:
    vi /home/pi/.advanced/advmame.rc

change the following:
    device_mouse raw
    device_raw_mousedev[0] /dev/input/mouse0
    device_raw_mousetype[0] ps2

Start AdvMAME, or reboot PiMAME and go through the PiMAME menu to start AdvMAME.

Summary and Testing:

The settings above should work without further testing, but if that fails here are some troubleshooting steps.

A spinner is considered a mouse with one axis. When booting PiMAME will show the device as a spinner in the logs, but ignore that as it is just a mouse.

After connecting the Spinner, and rebooting, lets test it within Linux and see if it works.

To test within Linux try this: cat /dev/input/mice
    Turning the spinner from side to side will show characters and move cursor from side to side on the line.

Now lets test directly to the device: cat /dev/input/mouse0 or /dev/input/mouse1
    Turning the spinner will show the same results as before with characters and move cursor from side to side on the line.

IF THE ABOVE TESTS ALL FAIL THEN SOMETHING IS WRONG WITHIN PiMAME. LINUX HAS NOT DETECTED THE DEVICE AND YOU NEED TO RESEARCH WHY

In this instance the spinner is on /dev/input/mouse0

Since the PiMAME has detected the spinner lets test using the AdvanceMAME mouse testing utility - type: advm -device_mouse raw

NOTE: AdvanceMAME, and advm caused repeated issues on being set as "auto". It was detecting the mouse type as "event", but the spinner is type "raw"

Within the advm utility you will notice that mouse[0 or 1] will show a positive or negative number when turned. This proves AdvanceMAME will see the mouse properly.

Now that both PiMAME and AdvMAME are detecting the device go to the "Quick Setup Guide" above and update the configuration files.

• All my inputs on my spinner show up on all the tests but when I come to define the keys to the spinner while running a rom (tab screen) it just wont recognise an input. Anyone help out there?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!