Runlevel issues
  • When trying to boot 0.8b4 it asks me to enter runlevel. I typed 2, since I read on a forum that it's the default, but no luck.
  • I'm not sure. I've never run into this type error. When I have some time, I'll look into it a bit more for you, but you may want to just format your card and re-write the image onto it. It should just boot straight into piplay
  • I am also having this same issue... Using Windows 7 Pro 64bit... The SHA-1 hash on the download is good, unzipped it with 7zip, formatted the card with SDFormatter, burned the image with Win32DiskImager... reformatted card and reburned image, still same problem... will try and unzip using Windows unzip and see if that makes a difference...
  • I have had people reporting bad image errors using windows unzip and 7z. That may be the source of your problems. Try using winRar.
  • Using winrar fixed my problem... thanks for the suggestion...
  • I think you should use gzip to compress the image. It's less powerful (in a compression poitn of view) but really more friendly with all OS ! As a linux user, using winrar to get a linux image is nonsense for me!!!!
  • I got the exact same issue Pristopher has, with the same output.

I downloaded the "piplay-0.8-beta4.img.zip" file twice from SourceForge (that's about two and a half hours each time on my crappy connection), and each time the unzipping ends with an error message (7zip and WinRar have a different error, but it amounts to "unexpected end of file").

Burning anyway the 3 GB+ resulting .img file on a 16 GB SD card and booting give what Pristopher has shown.

Presuming the file on SourceForge is corrupted or partial, I'm now trying to download it from the "Second mirror", a.k.a. 104.131.242.115, I will update tomorrow with the result.
  • Wait !

WinRar 3.00 (12 years old version found from my "install"archive, yes, I like to keep things, just in case) does produce the error.

WinRar 5.10 (freshly downloaded from www.rarlab.com) displays sensible size and CRC values, and doesn't complain when extracting the .img, and outputs a 7.2 GB file.

I'm burning it right now, but I'm confident it will work this time.

Not sure what kind of tricky variation of the zip format this file is compressed with, but really, like ian57 says, next time please just use the standard gzip.

Edit: Confirmed, extracted with WinRar 5.10, it works perfectly.
  • Very weird. I tend to use zip (zip and unzip in linux) because many of my downloads come from Windows machines. I have uploaded a newly compressed image, and berryboot image, to a new mirror:

http://104.131.242.115/
  • I downloaded it again using the new link. Extracted the image with Winrar and burned it again. Got it up and running! :D Now I'll start adjusting my settings before I start transfering my roms again. Thanks for your support guys.
  • No problemo!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!