Please someone help!
  • Can anyone give me a link to where i can buy a joystick for the zero delay encoder which would work with pimame please? i have been trying on here and adafruit for months and no one cares. i just want to finish my project! please someone help!
  • You should be able to wire ANY joystick to it. There isn't a specific one that it will work with. A joystick is just four micro-switches. You wire the micro-switches to the appropriate pins on your encoder, and you're set.
  • it doesnt though! i have a picture diagram, where should i post it?
  • Do you have the diagram of the encoder? The joystick should have 4 micro-switches on the bottom that are activated when the joystick is moved in the 4 directions (up, down, left, right). Each of those can be wired separately to the encoder. You will just need to look at the diagram to see which switch goes where on the encoder.
  • http://img02.taobaocdn.com/imgextra/i2/1696223986/T22mLUXe8bXXXXXXXX_!!1696223986.jpg but once again the joystick has 1 wire however this takes 2 wires
  • Can you take a picture of the bottom of the joystick? Not the part where you have the wires coming out of, but the whole bottom of the joystick?
  • @dubstylee - uff-da...agreed...yeah there's 5 or 6 threads on the same topic! :/ I think Jsavage00 you may get better help if you consolidate it to one thread.

I did a search and found an image that clearly shows the four directions and where they hookup.

EDIT: Shorter URL to diagram:

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v2/941345749_5/Brand-New-Zero-Delay-Arcade-USB-Encoder-PC-to-Joystick-for-MAME-HAPP-Fight-Stick-Controls.jpg
  • Here's your same topic on Adafruit:

http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=51347

I think what he is asking is there is two pins for each connection on the Zero Delay Encoder but only one "dupont" connection per wire coming off the joystick, is that what you're asking?

In that pic you posted they have a bundle of dual pin connectors on one end that fit the encoder and on the other end they have two quick connect female paddles (One for open and one for common). You'll need a joystick with male paddle connectors if you use those.

EDIT: On that encoder to the left of the joystick hookup is a 5 pin header that looks like it would work with Adafruit's joystick. It's made for a 5 pin hookup single dupont connectors. But Adafruit's joystick is bare wire on the other end so you would need to purchase some dupont connectors and a crimper or just buy female to female dupont connectors from like Deal Extreme or eBay.

Diagram of Zero Delay Encoder:

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v2/941345749_5/Brand-New-Zero-Delay-Arcade-USB-Encoder-PC-to-Joystick-for-MAME-HAPP-Fight-Stick-Controls.jpg
  • @Jsavage00 - You have two options for connecting your adafruit joystick to your encoder. you can either use the 4 "pairs" or you can use the 5 pin.

If you use the pairs, 1 pin on each of the pairs is a ground wire. So you have 4 lead wires and 4 grounds. you would need to connect each of your ground pins to the ground wire.

if you use the 5 pin (preferred) just by the right 5 pin connector or solder the wires to the encoder. from left to right on your schematic, they are up, right, down, left, and ground.

And you really need to limit your posting. Sometimes it takes some time for us to get to your question, just be patient.
  • Sorry guys, and yes the 5 pin one is correct, however, it still doesn't work, do I need to configure anything? Thank you guys! Once again I'm sorry!
  • check your other post
  • Thanks 1 last quick question, the zero delay encoder, down up left right etc is not labelled, only labeled as au VDD, etc, do you know what one is up? Etc!
  • au = up, ar = right, ad = down, al = left, vdd = drain supply (ground)
  • Oh I see now thanks!
  • @mholgatem - Thanks, that was explained better than I had. The up, down, left, right seemed pretty straight forward with the letter indicator and I figured VDD had to be ground but had no idea what the acronym stood for.
  • no problemo!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!