[SOLVED] Gamestop Controller Not Working
  • Hi all!

Thanks for PiPlay! This is amazing and the very reason I bought a Pi!

I am having problems getting my Pi to recognize my Gamestop brand wired xbox controller. Can anyone who has this controller please try it out and give me some tips?

I already added the lines to the /etc/rc.local file. Just not sure what else to do?!

Thanks in advance!
    John
  • I'm assuming Xbox 360 controller. What happens if you run xboxdrv right from the command line?
  • It says "No Xbox or xbox360 controller found"

Piplay has never been able to detect my controller. Not sure why? The light just keeps blinking.
  • But i know it is working because I get sporadic input at the menu. The green selector jumps around when I touch the joystick.
  • Tried a few more things:

Xboxdrv can set a specific device based on BUS:DEV using:
    sudo xboxdrv --device-by-path BUS:DEV --type xbox360

So I used lsusb to figure out which BUS and DEV number my controller was using. Strangely the controller was listed as "Logic 3" in that list, not Gamestop Controller or anything similar.

After using the specific BUS and DEV numbers the screen spit out a stream of input from the controller. I was able to press the buttons and see the numbers change. So I ran the previous line again adding "--silent" to the end. It said my controller was working! And indeed now the xbox led has come on and taken the 1st player position. That has never happened before.

I went back to the piplay menu and nothing would move now. Before I got sporadic input, now I have none! What am I missing?
  • I decided to go by device ID instead of BUS:DEV because I realized BUS:DEV might change based on where the controller was plugged in. So now I can use the following to get the controller to initialize in the first player spot.

sudo xboxdrv --device-by-id 0e6f:0401 --type xbox360 --silent

This will cause the controller to initialize. I also realized that xpad kept taking control, and that was probably why I had sporadic input even when xboxdrv wouldn't recognize the controller at all. I added the following to /etc/rc.local between fi and exit 0

fi
    sudo rmmod xpad &
    sudo xboxdrv --device-by-id 0e6f:0401 --type xbox360 --silent &
    silent 1
    exit 0

I also realized that !/bin/sh -e was commented out in rc.local? Is it supposed to be? I never read anywhere that I was supposed to remove the # before !/bin/sh -e. I did this and rebooted.

Now the controller recognizes on boot, without having to exit and ask xboxdrv to find it by device id. Problem is, I still get sporadic jumpy input like when xpad was running. Exited out and checked lsmod for xpad. It isn't there?!?!

What is going on?!
  • Lol just sort of spewing this out as it comes to me.

So the controller works in game! YAY! Batman never felt so good.

So only two things left to solve for the Gamestop controller:
    1) Sporadic menu operation. Not sure how to change this but it's impossible to control. The selector jumps all over the place. I am guessing maybe it has something to do with the deadzone not being set and the joystick picking up tons of little inputs in every direction.
    2) How can I set the controller to use the dpad instead of the joystick? I can set the controls in advMESS to use the dpad, but it does nothing after that.

Thanks!
  • So the controller works in game! YAY! Batman never felt so good.

Phrasing. Boom!
  • Thanks for this, you've sorted my controller issues. All that's left is to remap teh SNES buttons.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!